Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Fresh Snow, Fresh Start

Hi all!!

Yes, I am back. It was so cool that I had people ask me why I wasn't blogging anymore, where the heck I was, that they missed reading these silly things, etc. It is a heavy, wet, mushy snowy day and I am waiting for 2:30 so I can go pick up my sister Ali from the airport (Yay!) and instead of being productive and getting a head start on my weekend homework... I thought I would type a little something up instead.

So, the overall picture. Things are quiet, beautiful and easy out here in Colorado. Most of the time it is just Pat, Larry and I (although Jordan their daughter lives on the ranch also). I have a couple of outside horses to ride for income, and I don't have to work at the restaurant, which is a nice change. It is my last semester of college - a bittersweet time but I feel confident that I will find the right path from here. I haven't decided yet if I am going to stay in Colorado, go to California, or what is going to happen, but it is nice to know I have options. I am still with Luke, which can have its complications (I am really beginning to feel the long-distance sting), and right now I have his French Bulldog puppy Bull. Ike likes the company, and sometimes it is good to remember how NICE it is to have a full-grown, trained dog instead of a full-time-job puppy. But he is so cute that we don't mind having him around.

I sold my horses over the summer in California, and yes, I know, what is Kelli without her horse? So, I bought a 3 year old blue roan gelding "Troy" and he has been a really fun project. As much as I like to ride other people's horse for income, there is nothing quite like riding your own and bringing him along. Plus, I look at it as an investment that I learn from, I teach, and hopefully profit from!

So, small picture. Yes, I desperately need my sister's company and I am so excited that she is en route as I type. Today however, has been a total bust. I woke up, stumbled out of my warm bed only to know I was going to be out in the snow in 10 minutes, feeding horses. I shoved my left leg into my dirty jeans and SLLLIIIICCCEEEE ow! My knife came open in my pocket and scratched me about 10 inches down my inside knee and calf. So, I sucked it up, froze while I fed, came back inside and got ready (as much as one can) to go to the sale barn. One of our neighbors found an escaped heifer with Larry's brand on it, and since we sold all the other cattle, she needed to go to the auction. I go out in the wind (which is spitting fat wet stinging flakes at me), jump in the pickup, crank the key. NOTHING. Battery totally dead. I get the other truck, charge it, jump it, finally get it going, go to load the heifer, and I can't keep any of the gates open because of the wind. And anytime I get them open and the heifer goes where she needs to, she turns around and tries to mow me over. And me, in my big coat and wet snowboots, can't get out of the way very fast. So, I am mad, the cow is mad, I walk to Pat's house and we work together and finally get her loaded. I am about 3 miles down the road and realize I forget my phone... so I go and get my phone.... just one of those days!!!

Well, I will try and be back soon. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment